At The Ho Tai Way Costa Mesa CA, the first step to recovery is detox--helping your body clear out the drugs and/or alcohol and beginning those first stages of withdrawal.
The withdrawal days can also increase depending on the length, amount, and frequency of use. Many people coming to rehab are addicted to more than one drug which makes withdrawals intense and in some cases last longer.
The detox process will look different for each resident, but here is a rough guideline:
- Cocaine withdrawal often shows up as depression and restlessness that lasts 7-10 days.
- Alcohol withdrawal can last anywhere from a few days to several weeks and can include nausea, tremors, and even seizures.
- Heroin and opiate withdrawal usually shows as flu-like symptoms that last for approximately 5-7 days.
- Benzodiazepines withdrawal will show as increased anxiety and can be accompanied by seizures. Xanax, Librium, and Valium are examples of Benzodiazepines. Withdrawal can last for weeks or even months.
- Methamphetamine users experience fatigue, debilitating depression, and lack of appetite as withdrawal kicks in. The entire withdrawal period can take months, but we can help you through the original phase and give you the tools to deal with the secondary stages of depression.
- Prescription drugs such as Vicodin, Oxycodone, and Hydrocodone. These are opiates that are frequently prescribed for pain relief. Withdrawal symptoms tend to peak at about 3-4 days and last 7-8 days and typically feel like intense flu symptoms.
Seizures, tremors, anxiety...that’s why it’s a good idea to get support while detoxing. At this point, we walk with you through the drug detox process and help you manage your symptoms. Our alcohol detox program will strive to make this period in your recovery easier and safer so that you can move toward the next stage--healing.